Click on the Image Below to Download the Issue as a PDF FIle:
The Socialist Party of Michigan, in State Convention assembled, reaffirms itself as an advocate of the super exploited and super oppressed, and appeals for the support and unity of all working people, regardless of age, culture, disability, ethnicity, gender, nationality, race, religion, sex or sexuality, in opposing the so-called Marriage Amendment. This November working people will be asked to amend the State Constitution to restrict marriage to one man and one woman, to outlaw any and all forms of civil unions and domestic partnerships, effecting both hetero- and homosexual couples, and to end any and all benefits given to unmarried couples by governments, institutions and employers, again, including hetero- and homosexual couples.
As socialists, we stand with our gay and lesbian working class brothers and sisters in their struggle for the opportunity to marry. The state, as an assumed representative of the people, as a whole, should never restrict the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, the cornerstone of the United States Declaration of Independence, for all its people. The Fourteenth Amendment to the United State Constitution guarantees equal access to state services for all people. Therefore same-sex couples have the right to receive a marriage license and civil marriage ceremony from the state. We must defend this right and insist that it is protected. Let churches, mosques, synagogues, etc. dictate what shall constitute marriage within their respective faiths, and be free to accept or deny applicants, and let the state and its institutions recognize all marriages, regardless of people’s religion or sexuality.
As workers, we toil side-by-side everyday while we watch our wages be cut, our retirement benefits ransacked and our health care decreased. Let us not now use the power of the vote this November and take away the benefits of fellow working people and their families, and force our gay and lesbian co-workers deeper into the closet of poverty, harassment and oppression.
Straight, gay and lesbian workers of Michigan, unite in solidarity this November. Together we must stand firmly against the lies and maneuverings of theocrats, fascists and right-wing elements that have continually divided our class and pitted worker versus worker. Remember our history and our struggles, and remember the victories we have won when united. This is a victory we can and must win.
Saturday, August 14, 2004As a political party of the working class, the Socialist Party of Michigan advocates the transitional demands embodied by the Million Worker March Organizing Committee that represent the interests of working people. Believing the Million Worker March is an expression of workers’ self-organization and emancipation, the Socialist Party of Michigan hereby endorses the Sunday, October 17, 2004 march in Washington, D.C.
- Universal single-care health care from cradle to grave that ends the stranglehold of greedy insurance companies and secures health care as a right of all people in America.
- A national living wage that lifts people permanently out of poverty.
- Protection and enhancement of Social Security immune to privatization.
- Guaranteed pensions that sustain a decent life for all working people.
- The cancellation of all corporate “free” trade agreements, including NAFTA, MAI and FTAA.
- An end to privatization, contracting out, deregulation and the pitting of workers against each other across national boundaries in a mad race to the bottom.
- For workers’ right to organize and for a repeal of Taft Hartley and all anti-labor legislation.
- Funding public education in a crash program to restore our decaying and abandoned schools with state of the art school facilities in every community.
- Funding a vast army of teachers to end functional illiteracy in America and unleash the talent and potential of our abandoned children and adults.
- Launching a national training program in skills and capacities that will enlist our people in rebuilding our country and putting an end to both the criminalization of poverty and the prison-industrial complex.
- Rebuilding our decaying inner cities with clean, modern and affordable housing and eliminating homelessness in America with guaranteed housing and jobs for all.
- Progressive taxation that increases taxation on corporations and the rich while providing relief for the working class and poor.
- An end to the poisoning of the atmosphere, soil, water and food supply with a national emergency program to restore the environment, end global warming and preserve our endangered eco-system.
- Creating efficient, modern and free mass transit in every city and town.
- Repeal of the Patriot Act, Anti-Terrorism Act and all such repressive legislation.
- Slash the military budget and recover the trillions of dollars stolen from our labor to enrich the corporations that profit from war.
- Open the books on the secret budgets of the Pentagon and the intelligence agencies in the service of corporations and banks and the pursuit of imperial war on the poor everywhere.
- Extend democracy to our economic structure so that all decisions affecting the lives of our citizens are made by working people who produce all value through their labor.
- An aggressive enforcement of all civil rights and a national education campaign and mobilization against all racist and discriminatory acts in the work place and in our communities.
- Amnesty for all undocumented workers
- Increase in federal funding for the Arts in public schools
- For a democratic media that allow labor and all voices to be heard and oppose monopolization and union busting of media workers.
Checkout the Official website of the Million Worker March at http://www.millionworkermarch.org
Saturday, August 14, 2004
We, the Socialist Party of Michigan and working class citizens of Michigan, fully support the desires of the rank and file soldiers of the U.S., Britain, and other countries to be withdrawn from Iraq and around the world immediately and unconditionally!
We further support full democratic rights for military personnel to openly express their feelings and opinions on all matters without repression or disciplinary action! This includes the right to organize, publisize and mobilize concerning all issues, especially the American/British so called “coalition” invasion and occupation of Iraq.
Soldiers are first and foremost citizens, and their democratic rights do not disappear simply because they are in the military or at war. We urge troops and their families to understand their rights and to consider exercising them in protest of U.S. war policies.
The soldiers and the rest of the American people have been lied to from beginning to end about the war in Iraq, as well as other U.S. military interventions in places like Afghanistan, Columbia, Haiti, the Philippines, etc. You have been brave and have sacrificed a great deal, but it has been for a twisted and corrupt cause. This is a hard truth, but one that must be faced.
These military adventures have put you and your’s in danger for reasons that have nothing to do with “democracy” or protecting the American people against “terrorism”. They are about the profits of powerful corporations, the seizure of oil reserves and scarce water, the thirst for empire, the creation and propping up of obedient puppet regimes, and the ambition for world domination, period. These are not reasons for you to be sent off to suffer potential injury, disfigurement, lifelong disability or death for!
Join the international Anti-War movement to end this illegal and profit driven war! No more call ups! No more troop deployments! No more extensions of duty or stop loss orders! Support the troops! Bring them all home alive now from everywhere!
Full democratic rights for soldiers, sailors, airpersons, and marines! Full union rights for all! For election and democratic removal of commissioned and non-commissioned officers at all levels by the rank and file! For the right to refuse suicidal and murderous orders! Restore and increase pay and benefits for the troops and their families! For elected soldier committees and councils! Amnesty for all troops who resist the occupation! For a binding referendum vote by the American people on all issues of war and military intervention! All U.S. and other foreign troops out of Iraq and every other land now!
No use of troops against the people! No use of troops for martial law! Join the people!
The following U.S. organizations are listed solely to help service personnel and their families get help and support in struggling against government policy:
- American Civil Liberties Union
- Bring Them Home Now
- International Act Now to Stop War and End Racism Coalition
- Military Families Speak Out
- Support Network for an Armed Forces Union
- United for Peace and Justice
- U.S. Labor Against the War
- Veterans for Peace
- War Resisters League
pamphlet_troops.pdf (Download the PDF Flier)